American Apple Pie Recipe
Memorial Day signals the start of Summer and remembrance of those those who have died serving the U.S.A. Let’s celebrate the victories of those servicemembers while welcoming the Summer across the nation with a classic American dish: apple pie.
Domino has an amazing recipe for Delicious American Apple Pie.
- Pastry for a double crust 9-inch pie
- 3/4 cup of firmly packed Domino Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of grated lemon rind
- 6 cups of peeled, cored and thickly sliced apples
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line 9-inch pie pan with half of pastry.
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon rind. Add apples and toss to coat evenly. Spoon apple mixture into pastry-lined pie pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice and dot with butter.
- Top with remaining pastry. Trim and flute edges. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. (You can also roll out the extra dough, cut into thick strips and weave them onto the top of the pie, as seen in the picture.)
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of pie with foil. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 servings.